Chemical engineering is an interdisciplinary branch of science
Drugs, electronics and production of electricity, large scale level manufacturing and production, pre and post treatments of various products and by-products.Their working area expands from laboratories and offices to field work at industrial plants and refineries as a supervisor.
A Chemical engineers’ job is to work out processes that are helpful and cheaper in the production of various products, at the same time maintaining resource sustainability and ensuring health, safety and quality standards of products and environment.
Strong points mandatory to be maintained
- The person opting for chemical engineering must excel in subjects like chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Analytical and practical approach in this field gives you an upper hand.
- Spontaneity in problem solving at any level makes you eligible for this field.
A guideline to make your way through this field
Exams that you should prepare for if you wish to move forward in your career as a chemical engineer.
For under graduation degree-
- JEE(Mains) and JEE(Advanced):The toughest engineering entrance exams that opens your doors to the most prestigious colleges in India.
- BITSAT:This is an exam that is organised by BITS Pilani campuses in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad for engineering courses.
- JamiaMilliaIslamia:Entrance exam for B.Tech
- Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination (VITEEE)
For post-graduation degree-
- GATE:Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an entrance exam for admissions in post graduation degrees in prestigious colleges like IITs, NITs, and NIITs, etc.
- TIFR GS: It is conducted by Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. TIFR
Graduate School exams are held for post graduation in fields of maths, chemistry, biology and physics.
- CUSAT Exam:Organised by Cochin University of Science and Technology.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University: Entrance Exam forM.Techin Chemical Engineering
- NIT:M.tech in Chemical Engineering Entrance Exam
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET)
Prime colleges/ universities to flourish your career as a chemical engineer
- IIT Bombay.
- Department Of Chemical Engineering, RTMNU, Nagpur
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
COMPANIES OFFERING JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHEMICAL ENGINEERS
- Johnson & Johnson
- Industries like ONGC, IOCL, BPCL
- Petroleum and coal products Industries
- Asian Paints
And the list is endless.
What is the average pay package that a chemical engineer can have?
Salary depends on the degree and the experience you’ve gained throughout.
For a process engineer (completing under graduation only), it varies from Rs 67,499 to 17, 75,386.
For a production engineer (completing under graduation only), it varies from Rs 687,845 to 982,071.
For a chemical engineer (completing under graduation only), it varies from Rs 348,000 to 688,696.
Other fields in which chemical engineers can explore and expand
Law, food sector, cosmetics, production and manufacturing, designing of large scale instruments, biological sectors like drugs and nanoparticles discovery, nanotechnology are some fields for chemical engineers.
Every field which requires technical skills are open for these engineers.