Civil engineering is one of the most prestigious courses
Civil engineers also help in designing many construction projects. Some of the main duties of a civil engineer are:
- They submit and grant permits to various projects of local and state agencies after verifying all regulations are complied.
- Ensure that all government regulations, potential environment hazards, construction costs are considered with due attention.
- Test other building materials like concrete, stones so that the structures are sturdy.
- Manage the repairs of roads, bridges, tunnels, dams and many other buildings.
Many civil engineers also possess supervisor and administrative positions.
Subjects to be focused for this purpose
Civil engineering is a huge field comprising study of different subjects related to the areas one would like to master. What one needs is a complete B. Tech in Civil Engineering and get a bachelor’s degree in 4 years.The subjects to study are mathematics, chemistry, physics, graphics, electrical systems, electronics, instrumentation, computer programming and many others.
Exams to be cracked
On completion of 12thboard exams, apply for IIT-JEE, AIEE to crack the entrance for B. Tech in top government engineering colleges. Once you get through this, focus on finishing the B. tech in civil engineering. After this,doing M. Tech is favorable for this field as it providesa Professional Engineering (PE) license giving you responsibilities and better job opportunities. For this, the exams to be cracked are GATE-Graduate Aptitude Testin Engineering and ESE- Engineering Service Examination.
Top Colleges for Civil Engineering
Civil engineering is a very creative field basically focusing on infrastructure projects, their design, outlook, costs, repair, maintenance and construction. To learn that entire expertise, one should be thorough with all the knowledge. Some of the colleges providing exorbitant skills are:
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay)
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IIT Kanpur)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS- Pilani)
- Malviya Nehru Institute of Technology (MNIT-Jaipur)
- Gammon India – Mumbai
Projects done are Gateway of India.
- Larsen & Toubro LTD – Mumbai
Many of the country’s striking landmarks have been executed by it.
- Punj Lloyd Group – Delhi
Offer Engineering, Power and Construction (EPC) services
- Lanco Infratech Limited
One of the leading business entities and operates in domains like EPC services.
Average Pay and Other Prospects
Average pay in this field is Rs. 352,474 per year. Experience really matters in this job. Civil engineering is a job with bright prospects so many opt for this nowadays. But still it’s a secured job and has several areas to operate in. These are:
1) Structural Engineer – Designs the structure.
2) Geotechnical Engineer – Makes sure that foundations are solid.
3) Construction Engineer – Manages construction.
4) Transportation Engineer-Manages transport.